I apologize that it has been a few days since I have posted. I am in a village in the middle of Lake Victoria... Not exactly the best place to find internet access. Also, there won't be any pictures for the next week, because those are nearly impossible to upload with the internet signal here. Sorry!
So... I'm at Bethany Village. Finally! The past 3 days have been quite a whirlwind... Not only have we stayed busy, but there have been many emotions here too. Life in the village is different than life in the city. MUCH different. Kim and I have had a rough time adjusting, but each day gets better.
Our first day here, we got a brief orientation of the community, and then met our homes and our "families". I live in Joy House with Mama Eva, her daughter Eve, Joseph, Gloria, and Alex. The people here are a an absolute blessing. They love wholeheartedly and serve without complaints. My first night here was slightly difficult because the kids are older (11, 13, and 14) so they weren't quite as willing to run up and give me hugs. I am still struggling to make them laugh, and it's sometimes hard to get them to open up with me. But it's only been 3 days, and I will be patient!
Let me explain a little bit of the setup here. When you get off the boat at the dock, you walk through a campground area where they host teams from all over who want to come serve here. Right past the camp houses are the children's homes. There are 12 total, but only 11 with children. 177 Ugandan orphans are housed here at Bethany Village! Praise God! Up the hill, past the homes, is the school, the offices, and the church. The views here are incredible. I spent a lot of time our first afternoon here just walking around, taking it all in. I wish I could share pictures!
Yesterday, Kim and I spent the day working in the office with Uncle Francis and his wife Adrienne. They are the managers of the children's homes, and they are a joy in every way! Uncle Francis is hilarious, and Adrienne is extremely motivated. We spent all morning organizing all of the donations that have been sent from the U.S. and then we delivered them to the homes, giving us an opportunity to meet all the other house moms while their kids were at school! And get this... We had 4 boxes of books that were donated that we were going through. One of the books in the box was from Carver Elementary School in Bryan, Texas. SMALL WORLD, right?!?! AH... God made me smile with that one:)
Yesterday afternoon, Kim and I helped Adrienne with some work around her house, and then did some chores with our "brothers and sisters" and helped the moms cook. It is nice to be able to relax and just sit down and have conversations with the families here... They have so much truth to offer. I am blessed.
Today was what they call a "centre day". All of the kids in the Bethany Village that are sponsored through ARM came together for a day of Bible study, praise and worship, games, food, and a time to write letters to their sponsors. It was a REALLY cool experience, and shows the power behind sponsorship programs... YOU SHOULD DO IT!
Beginning next week, Kim is scheduled to be working in the clinic and I will be working in the school... Teaching... I'M PUMPED.
I'm so sorry that this message is brief and only hits the surface, but my resources are limited. Thank you SO MUCH for your love, prayers, and encouragement. Please keep them coming! Specific prayers for:
-Me... I'm still not feeling 100%.
-Kim & I... Struggling to adjust here.
-The kids in Joy House... That they will open up and allow me to love on them.
-For next week... That Kim and I will feel needed, used, and open to what God has for us.
A special shout out to Juliette... Alma House went CRAZY when I brought your gifts! Mama Jane was in hysterical tears. They kids danced around, singing, and giving hugs. You are a true blessing to them, and everyone here who continues to ask me about you. They love you tremendously.
A REALLY special shout out to my dad... The best dad in the world...
I LOVE YOU and I MISS YOU! HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, DADDY! Can't wait to see you soon:)
Saturday, June 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
=) =) =)
ReplyDeletei'm going to just write you an email. . . .
i started crying when i read this...i miss you like crazy and am so thankful for all God is doing in your life!!!
ReplyDelete