This is a fishing village that is just down the shore from Bethany Village. I knew as soon as I saw this that I was about to enter a completely new lifestyle, opposite of what I had seen in Kampala. I was prepared for a rough, tough life in Uganda, but I had pushed that mental preparation to the back of my head when I became accustomed to the much-nicer-than-expected living situation we had in the city. However, I can honestly say that I went in with an open mind and I was ready for anything.
This is the view of the backyard of Alma house… The house right next to Joy house where I lived. This was probably one of my favorite places. I spent a lot of time on side of the house preparing meals, playing with the kids from Alma house, dancing with my brothers and sisters at Joy house, washing clothes, and using the “bathrooms” (the facilities you see on the right).
I love this picture. This was taken only a few days after Kim and I arrived at Bethany. The older kids were in a Bible study class under the pavilion (which used to be the school- crazy, I know). The forest on the hill behind the kids was full of monkeys… SO great!
On Saturday, the kids in the Bethany Village community who are sponsored through ARM met for Centre Day. I think I already mentioned it, but Centre Days happen twice a month on Saturdays. When the kids arrived for Centre Day, they met for a time of praise and worship led by the children themselves. Afterwards, they broke off into small groups for a teaching and Bible study time. Then the children went down to the campsite area to get their breakfast… Porridge and a biscuit. It was raining pretty heavily at that time, so all of the kids were packed into an abandoned house to eat. It was definitely a priceless moment.
After breakfast, the kids were divided into small groups to go to workshops. Once of the stations was letter writing for the children to write to their sponsors. I think my favorite thing about Centre Day was seeing a sponsorship program in action. I sponsor an 8 year old girl through Compassion International, so it was encouraging for me to see an organization be effective with the funds that are provided, and to see how thankful and grateful the children are for their sponsors. In fact, my brothers and sisters in Joy house constantly talked about their sponsors, asking me if I knew so-and-so who is also from America (because I know everyone in the U.S., of course). I seriously encourage all of you to sponsor a child, regardless of the organization. And don’t just sponsor a child… Pray for that child, stay in constant with that child and if at all possible- visit that child. Let them see your face and feel your love in a more personal way. I promise it will change your life as much as it changes theirs.
During the workshops, Kim and I did a lot of walking around and interacting with the kids. It was really our first chance to see all of the faces of the children at Bethany Village since they were in school all day Thursday and Friday. Also, it was the first time that I truly bonded with some of them. It’s much easier to bond with kids when they’re in their comfort zone, so I decided to put my charming attempts to work during game time (after the workshops). Here are two of my favorite pictures from game time…
Team Champion- the name of my group- stinkin’ awesome of course. I assigned Joseph (my little brother in Joy house) to be team captain to suck up to him a little and make him like me. And hey… It worked!
These girls are Daisy and Irene. They were part of Team Champion, but didn’t want to participate in game time. So it gave me a great opportunity to really know these girls and love on them! They are precious, and both seemed to appreciate my encouragement to them. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see much more of them during the week, but they were always quick to yell “Auntie Becca!” and run to give me a hug when they saw me around.
After Centre day ended, many of the kids escaped to the dock to play and relax. Once again, it was a good opportunity for me to get to know the kids. And so I did! I think the best thing of all was telling them that I am friends with Auntie Juliette. Their faces would light up and then they’d jump up and down and tell me how much they love me and how much they love Juliette. It was the best:)
Not only did I use Juliette as a way to win over the children’s hearts, but I also used the awesome gifts for them that Lauren Haire sent me with (thank you, girl!). You can see in the picture below that they just ate it all up! No joke… I went from feeling completely unable to love these kids and reach them on a personal level to becoming their new friend that they loved to laugh with. Is God faithful, or what?
The faithfulness of our Savior has definitely been the resounding theme of my journey. Since the very beginning when I was nervous to even tell my parents that I felt called to Africa, to this point that I am here in Uganda living with the children that I have completely fallen in love with, God has been so merciful, gracious, and FAITHFUL. Something that I’ve learned since I’ve been here is how to TRULY praise the Lord. Not just as I lie in bed at night, praying to the ceiling to thank him for my blessings, but to tell everyone I meet how thankful I am for the love of our Father. Christians in Uganda greet one another by saying, “Praise God” before they say anything else. So, my sweet family and friends in America… Praise God. I miss you, I love you, and I am thankful for the support and encouragement that you are to me.
“The Lord is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding to steadfast love. The Lord is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made… The Lord is faithful in all his words and kind in all his works.”
Psalm 145:8-9,13
“For behold, the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble. The day that is coming shall set them ablaze, says the Lord of hosts, so that it will leave then neither root nor branch. But for you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall. And you shall tread down the wicked, for they will be ashes under the soles of your feet, on the day when I act, says the Lord of hosts.”
Malachi 4:1-3
“For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them… I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.”
1 Corinthians 9:19,22-23
http://www.compassion.com
http://www.africarenewal.org
No comments:
Post a Comment