Friday, June 25, 2010

Joy House- My Family

As I’ve said before, it is not easy to be a guest in a Ugandan household. The people desire to serve their visitors and give them the utmost respect and best treatment. But I must tell you it was the new best day of my life when Mama Eva asked me to go get water… And called me her daughter.



This is Mama Eva. She also goes by Betty or Mummy Joy. Take your pick, but to me… She’s Mama Eva. She is arguably the best house mom at Bethany Village. I have never felt more honored then when she cleaned my vomit off of the floor after I threw up every hour for 11 hours straight (yes, that happened), or when she brought me a bucket during the night to urinate in so I didn’t have to go outside in the dark. In all seriousness, this woman is a trooper. She works harder than anyone I’ve ever met in my life and receives no sort of rewards- except the joy of her 17 children at Joy house, and for her… That is enough.



This is Eve… Mama Eva’s firstborn. What a blessing she was to me! Eve is 23 years old and is taking classes at a university in Kampala. She is home for her summer holiday, donating her time, love, and attention to her family at Joy house. Eve and I became very very very close. We connected easily, partly because of the age similarities and partially because of common interests. Every morning and evening, Eve and I would take tea together and talk. At night, we would listen to Hillsong together and sing (she has an AMAZING voice). And she even introduced me to many of her friends who volunteer for ARM and Gaba Community Church, giving me an opportunity to get even more connected to these wonderful programs. I love her dearly, and I’m going to miss her more than words can explain.



As you’ve seen before, this is Joseph. Joseph and I had the tightest bond of all the young ones at Joy house, and I’m sure that was probably because he is the oldest of the primary students who are currently there (the other 14 are away at boarding school for their secondary level classes). Joseph seemed to be the most affected by my presence there, and by my leaving. He has made me promise multiple times that I will return to see him one day… And I will.



These two are Alex and Gloria. I’ve given a little rundown on Alex, but let me add that this guy is what I’d call a “stinker”. In case you don’t know “Becca language”, let me explain that Alex is basically a little punk:) He wants to play and have fun with me when he gets home from school, but when he sees me working in his classroom, he acts as though he doesn’t have a clue who I am. I guess 11 year olds in Uganda are no different than 11 year olds in the U.S… Too cool for school.

Gloria and I never found a common bond, and my heart hurts because of that. I left a letter with her upon my departure, letting her know that I will never cease to pray for her. I can’t help but wonder if Gloria has some sort of mental disability that no one has paid enough attention to to care for. Her speech isn’t great, and she’s the oldest in her grade (6th) by 2 years (she’s almost 14). Please join me in praying for Gloria.

I love my family at Joy house, and I am so grateful to God for placing me in that household. The love that flowed out of their hearts and into me will be a blessing to me forever.

This morning began my first round of goodbyes in Uganda… And they weren’t easy. There is one thing I am confident of though… They aren’t really goodbyes, but instead, they’re “see-ya-laters”. Because I’m not done with this place; I will return again, and I will show those children how much they mean to me!

So long for now, Bethany Village, and once again… Hello, Kampala.

No comments:

Post a Comment