Monday, June 14, 2010

Brokenness

Yesterday morning, Kim and I took a taxi into town and went to Gaba Community Church. What an incredible experience! The service was in English; we even sang songs like “Blessed Be the Name of the Lord”, “Dwelling Place”, and “Surrender”. The only difference was that I found myself singing with an African accent and dancing along with the Ugandans… I loved it! :) After church, Kim and I had the opportunity to speak in one of the Bible study classes for the upper high school kids (16, 17, and 18 year olds). Although it was hard to convince them to crack a smile, I trust that God spoke through us and was able to reach their hearts. We both shared a bit of our testimonies, and then Kim touched on James 1 (persevering in trials) and I talked about 1 Thessalonians 5 (rejoicing always and giving thanks in all circumstances). A couple of the students had questions to ask about our lives and how God has proved faithful, and one boy even added to Kim’s teaching by saying that we should not only consider it pure joy when we face trials, but we should also keep faith because he who remains steadfast will receive the crown of life (verse 12). Amen!



Pastor Peter (the pastor at GCC and the founder of ARM) spoke Sunday morning, and I definitely heard God’s voice in his teaching. There is one thing he said that I walked away contemplating deeply… “We must pray for brokenness; it is hard for God to use us if we’re not broken.” I think the overall idea and the point he was trying to make is exactly right. If we constantly believe that we have it all figured out, and we don’t see God’s holiness as a humbling thing, then how can we be effective for the kingdom? I urge you to pray along with me, that God will break us of our comforts and allow us to see things through his eyes so that we can pursue others with the passionate love of Christ. And meditate on this scripture with me: “For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise” (Psalm 51:16-17). As you do so, take a look at the pictures that I took as I walked from town to the babies’ home today, and see if God uses images such as these to humble you and make you thankful…






After church, Kim and I met up with Coryn and made our first trip into downtown Kampala. What an experience! I seriously had to keep reminding myself that I was in Africa, because it was like downtown Houston or Dallas- traffic everywhere, people trying to cross the streets, and horns wailing. We went to this food court there where you can get anything from a cup of coffee and a muffin to a cheeseburger and fries. There is also a big shopping mall there (Garden City) that is identical to any mall in the states. There was even a Lacoste store in it. What the heck?! We took botas back to the babies’ home instead of taxis… It was my first experience ever on a motorcycle (I survived, mom and dad, don’t worry)!

Once we got back to Loving Hearts, we discovered that one of the babies (who has been sick since the day we arrived) was taken to the clinic that afternoon and diagnosed with pneumonia. Please pray for baby Amos! He is one of the twins, and my heart just breaks for him. He was even having a hard time keeping his head up today. Pray for a quick recovery, and that the other babies will stay healthy! Also, Kim is slowly starting to feel better. I’m not sure if I mentioned it, but she was diagnosed with strep throat and was given antibiotics. Please continue to pray for her healing. Lastly, Kim and I only have a couple more days here before we leave for Bethany Village. Please pray that God will begin to prepare us for the transition (especially having to leave these babies that we have so quickly fallen in love with and become attached to, but also that we will be open and ready for what is to come), and that he will ready the hearts of the children we will work with there.

As always, here are my favorite pictures from the the last few days… Enjoy :)



It’s hard to catch David smiling. But I tried!



The kids got a chance to play outside! Notice Amos (the one closest to the camera)… You can see the gunk running out of his eyes and nose. My poor baby:(



I am SO not ready to tell Derrick goodbye. I have the strongest connection with this little guy.



Timothy and Amos are so well behaved, and absolutely precious. But there is something so empty about their eyes, and it breaks my heart. Can you see it? They need love. I’m not sure if I’ve already said this, but the twins were found just a month ago. That means they were already somewhere around 16 months old when they were abandoned. Can you even imagine?! Will someone adopt them? Please?



Agnes is one of the house moms (or aunties) and if you can’t tell, Kim and I love her! She will definitely be missed. And for the record, this picture was taken from the porch outside of our bedroom (and yes, Lake Victoria is like 200 yards away)… Pretty awesome view, huh?

“Count it all pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness… Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.”
James 1:2, 12

“And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, and be patient with them all. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always see to do good to one another and to everyone. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, and give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”
1 Thessalonians 5:14-18

“For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.”
Psalm 51:16-17

1 comment: