Coryn, Michael, and Joshua (ARM staff) picked us up from the airport and drove us through many different small towns on our way to Kampala. It was a sight I’ve never seen; it was the hustle and bustle of a big city, but in a third world country’s style. People were running across the street or standing only inches from the cars zooming by, motorcycles (botas) were whizzing between and around traffic, and I even saw a cow on the side of the road. And did I mention the driving? Let’s just say there were at least a hundred times that I thought I was going to die in the one hour drive. And if you are aware of how I drive, then you know how seriously dangerous this was.
Once we arrived at Loving Hearts Babies Home, Coryn (who is an American and SUCH a blessing) came inside with Kim and me, and introduced us to the house moms. These people are seriously the most incredibly welcoming people I have ever met. They wanted hugs, kisses, stories, smiles, laughs and more within the first 10 seconds of our arrival. The coolest thing of all was when Esther (one of the moms) sat us down and prayed over us, thanking God for getting us there safely and asking him to bless our time there. Cool, right? Then we got to meet all of the babies. There are only 12 in the home right now, because many have just recently been adopted. Praise God! At that point, I was so completely overwhelmed with joy and excitement that I had forgotten how exhausted I was (but that didn’t keep me from snapping so awesome photos before bedtime)! Kim and I slept for 12 hours our first night here. As crazy as that sounds, it helped us to immediately adjust to the time change and gave us a refreshing start to our first day working with the babies.
Here are a few of my favorite pictures so far… Enjoy:)
This is Timothy. Such a cutie… And you know what makes him even better? He is a twin! He and his brother (Amos) are two of the more serious and well behaved babies. They still love to laugh and play like the rest of their brothers, but they listen well and don’t push the limits as often.
This is David. Oh, David. This little guy is as CUTE as can be… When he is happy! He’s got the most precious laugh and smile, and his eyes shine. But David likes to cry… A lot. I mean, if one of the kids gives David a bad look, he cries. It works well for me though… Gives me an excuse to hold him all the time!
These guys are Derrick and Peter. They are the talkers of the bunch, and seemingly have become my favorites (ironic?). I taught Peter to say “hi baby” on the first day, so now he walks around saying it to everyone, and even responds to questions with that. Example: “Peter, where are you going?” “Hi, baby.”
This is Derrick again… I had to put him in here twice, and I think the reason is obvious. HE IS ADORABLE; such a beautiful baby, and quite the charmer, might I add. I asked if I could put a down payment on adopting him. They said no.
Go ahead and laugh… He is hilarious. This is Bauer. Bauer is a special little guy, because when he was found, he was totally and completely malnourished. They said he was one of the tiniest of all when he first arrived. Now, his body can’t reject food (as you can see). He makes me laugh because he is the only baby older than 14 months who barely walks. He can’t ever seem to get his balance. I blame it on the belly.
I am in a country full of beauty, love, and joy. The people I am surrounded by are such an encouragement to me, and a wonderful testament to God’s grace and mercy. I could not feel more blessed or excited to see what is still to come. Please continue praying for my family back home, for the babies and children at Loving Hearts and at Bethany, for my relationships with Kim and the other moms, and for the ARM staff that work SO hard each and every day.
“And we know that the son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in his son, Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.”
1 John 5:19-20
P.S. It took me like an hour to write this because I’m completely distracted by a lizard that’s just hanging out 5 feet from my bed. Sick.
FYI, I'M KEEPING UP WITH YOU VIA YOUR BLOG!!!! LOVE THE PICS AND GLAD THAT YOU ARE HAVING A MARVELOUS TIME WITH THE KIDDO'S. LOVE YOU DAD
ReplyDeletehahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha BECKS!!! oh my goodness...a lizard?!?!?! love the pics, love the story and can't wait to hear more!!!
ReplyDelete