Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Nile River

Praise God! Saturday was INSANE. It was Kim and my first day to really act like tourists and take a break from ministry with ARM, so we went to Jinja. I have heard it described as the "Austin" of Uganda, and I could definitely see that! There were lots of internet cafes and coffee shops. Not to mention all of the white people EVERYWHERE! It was the tourist hot spot for sure.

We started off by going to see the source of the Nile. It was beautiful! The pictures below are of the source of the Nile. The water was cool and refreshing, and it was hard not to jump in (however, you will discover soon that I did jump in)!







This was lunch. Yum yum yum. Fish and chips, anyone?



After we left the source, we went to check out a park where there are waterfalls along the Nile. These are called the Bujagali Falls... Incredible.



While we were marveling at the rapids, Kim and I discovered a sign for Nile River excursions. We were intrigued. We knew we didn't have too much time, but we wanted to do something crazy and adventurous on our "day off". So...

I WENT BUNGEE JUMPING INTO THE NILE!

I couldn't get the video to load, and I'm so sorry for that. It is really cool! I promise I'll try and post it as soon as I get back to the states this weekend. Basically, I climbed 300 feet of stairs up to a ledge, jumped on the count of 3, and then fell head first, splashing into the Nile before getting yanked back up. It was awesome!

As you can see, there wasn't much sustenance to our day, so to speak. But we did have a total blast! It was nice to see some of the sights of Uganda that many people never get to see. It was also good to be able to relax. And bungee:)

Sunday, Kim and I will attend church, and then I will began doing a series of outreach visits. A friend I met here has invited me to join him in visiting schools this week, evangelizing and encouraging youth to attend the Jesus Festival that will be going on next weekend. Please began to pray for us, that the kids we meet will be receptive to the truth and willing to open up to us.

My only other prayer request is that God will begin to prepare my heart for my departure from Uganda. I head back to the states in 4 days. I am not ready to leave this place, and I know the tears are going to start flowing pretty soon. Please pray that the Lord will give me a peace about leaving, knowing that I can and will return soon by His grace.

I love you all. Thank you for everything you've done for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment