Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I Hate Countdowns

I hate countdowns. People are constantly asking me how long I get to stay here. My answer is getting smaller and smaller, and it sickens me. In less than 48 hours, I will be on a plane heading to Ethiopia, Dubai, New York, and finally... Texas. As exciting as I want this to be (and I am excited to see my sweet family and friends again), I don't feel like I'm ready to let go of Uganda just yet. I'm not sure if I would ever feel ready.

As you know, it can often take multiple days and sometimes weeks to feel adapted to a new way of life. It takes weeks to get used to a new church and a new school. The worst thing about my scenario is that I'm FINALLY there; I've reached that place where I feel like I can call this country my home. I am adapted and I'm comfortable. I see people on the street that I know, and I give them a huge hug. Kids at the school yell "Auntie Becca" when I pass by. The church staff wants to know if I'm helping out with projects during the week. This feels right. Uganda has started to feel like home. And now- when it all has begun to seem perfect- it's time to leave. Crazy how life always seems to work that way, right?

My beautiful mother has a particular saying that I've heard my entire life, and it resounded in my mind again this week... "It's better to leave when you're still having fun than to leave when you're tired and ready to go." I believe this is very true, and I'm thankful to my mom for her wisdom. I am still enjoying my time here, and clearly it's God's intended time for my departure. Therefore, I will rest in the peace of Jesus Christ, knowing that his comfort is going to be poured out on me. I also have no hesitation that my Heavenly Father will be faithful to me now as He always is!

At this time, will you please pray for me? Pray for readiness of heart, wisdom, and peace. Pray for traveling/journey mercies. Pray for the kids and AMAZING friends that I've made here. And pray for Kim, as she now has another month in Uganda during which she will be alone.

On an entirely different note, I am VERY ready to embrace my mom and dad at the airport on Friday. One hard thing about being here is not having a phone. At least then I could call my family more often! I'm ready to see all of your smiles, give you all big hugs and HUGE "thank yous", and I'm ready to share pictures and stories. I'm ready to pour out the truth and joy that God has put in my heart over the last month.

Here's a quick rundown of the last few days...

On Sunday, I went to church and decided to stay for both services since it would be my last Sunday (I wanted to make sure I didn't miss seeing anyone)! After church, a friend I met here spent the day with me, showing me all around Kampala. We went to lunch at a cute (and fancy) Italian restaurant, and then got ice cream! For those of you who know me well, ice cream is my biggest weakness. It was my first time to taste it in 3 weeks, and I was thrilled! Afterward, we went to an amusement park... I didn't even know such existed! We also spent some time at the beach at Lake Victoria, and then ended the night back at the babies home to relax after a long day.

On Monday and Tuesday, Kim and I were supposed to be visiting a Child Development Project sponsored by ARM, but we didn't feel as though our hearts were in the right place to be traveling for 2 more days. We have made so many friends here, and I really wanted to spend my last few days in Kampala. So the ARM staff graciously allowed us to change our plans, and it was a huge blessing. On Monday, Kim and I cleaned things up all morning (our laundry, our bedroom and bathroom, and ourselves) and then went into Gaba to spend some time at the church. The Mwangaza Children's Choir had returned from the U.S. that same morning, so they were having a welcome home concert at 4. Kim and I went to it, and it was amazing! It was very special to see the same kids I saw in Texas just a few months before. Monday evening, I attended a crusade in Gaba that was put on my Gaba Community Church. Although I'm not such a big fan of the evangelical style used, the beach was packed, and quite a few people were saved! Praise God!

On Tuesday, Kim and I spent our afternoon walking through downtown Kampala. We visited some well known places and just talked and shared with each other. In the evening, I went to the crusades again, and then came home. Kim has been a huge blessing to me, and I'm going to miss her tremendously. I'm grateful that we had these last few days to relax and enjoy our time in Kampala.

Well... There is a chance this will be the last time I post while I'm in Uganda. I board the plane in Entebbe at 4 p.m. (Uganda time) on Thursday. Your prayers are GREATLY appreciated! I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment