Today was probably one of the best days I’ve had since I’ve been in Uganda, and I was only with the babies for a few hours. It was one of those days that I know God had planned all along that I didn’t see coming… I was serving and ministering in ways that I would never have expected. Crazy how that works, right? I want to share a story about my new friend Florence.
Florence is one of the moms here at Loving Hearts. The moment I met her, I knew there was something different about her. She had a peace and a joy about her that seemed so incredibly genuine. However, there was also something about her that was hard to pinpoint- something that immediately made me feel like she had not had an easy life. Florence has scars on her arms and legs and burn marks on her skin. Her toes stick out randomly as though she has been in an awful accident. She is quieter than the rest of the moms, but loves to have deep one-on-one conversations, asking about your family and your life. She loves giving hugs, and she doesn’t miss an opportunity to tell you that she loves you. Florence is just one of those people that everyone thinks the world of. The crazy thing is- most people don’t know Florence’s story.
Yesterday afternoon, I was sitting on the porch spending time with the Lord and watching the rain fall over Lake Victoria, when I heard a knock on the door. Florence had come up to join me. She just wanted to sit and talk, ask me about my life in America and my family, etc. Of course, I asked her questions about her family as well, and then I told her to tell me her story, and that I was curious about her skin. And that’s how I found out about this tragedy…
Florence has 6 kids- Micah, Edgar, Smile, Patience, Tabitha, and Enoch- ranging from 2 to 20 years of age. Six years ago (when there were only 5 children in the family), Florence’s house caught fire. The 5 children had just gone to sleep and Florence was washing up in the kitchen when she began to smell smoke. She ignored the stench at first (it’s a very common thing to smell something burning in Uganda- they burn their trash on the street throughout the day), but then heard her youngest crying so she went in the bedroom (the only one in the one bedroom house) and found everything in flames. Florence told me that she suspected one of the candles had been placed too closely to a blanket or a pillow. She said she stared at the fire for a while, and felt the tears coming, but never even went into panic mode because there wasn’t enough time for that. There was no way for her to enter the room because of the immensity of the flames, so she went to the back door. She broke through the back window and reached into the flames. She told me that she didn’t even feel the burning on her arms at the time because of the adrenaline flowing through her body. She was able to pull 2 of the children out of their cribs and through the window, and the older two were able to walk out on their own. But her youngest was still screaming, stuck in the fire, suffocating from the smoke. Florence had no other choice if she wanted to save her child… She entered the room, literally walking on fire, grabbed her baby, and ran out the door.
All 5 of the children came out with only minor scars and burns. Florence, however, was rushed to the hospital. She told me that the kids stayed and put out the fire and then spent the night at the neighbor’s. They had lost everything they had in an instant. At the hospital, Florence was treated for third degree burns on her hands, arms, neck, shoulders, hips, legs, and feet. She now has only 4 toes on one of her feet, and has no feeling in some areas. Her scars are completely obvious, and you would think it would be impossible for her to hide her tragedy. Yet Florence told me yesterday that most people don’t know about it. I asked her why. She responded, with tears in her eyes… “Because no one ever asks or seems to bother knowing… Except for you, Rebecca.”
Obviously, I was a glass case of emotions at this point, wondering if I had asked too much or taken the conversation too far. But I knew one thing- Florence was eager to share her story. It was the next thing she said to me that made me suddenly realize that God was right in the center of this conversation, and he was about to do something unfathomable. Florence grabbed my hand and said this to me… “You know, ever since the accident, my kids have seemed to have no happiness. They don’t smile or laugh often, they are quieter; it made them grow up so fast. I think I know something that would bring them joy… You. Would you do me a favor? Would you come over and meet my family? I think it would be great for them to meet you and spend some time with you. I believe they would catch on to your smile, and I want them to feel the hope that you radiate. Would you please?” Let me interject… I do not, in any way, feel worthy enough to be in that situation. I was honored, blessed, encouraged, and moved by her words. Without hesitating, I told her, “Absolutely. I’ll be there tomorrow.”
So today, after spending the morning at Wentz Medical Clinic with Mark (another new baby- we’re up to 14!) who was getting his 1 month check up, I walked into town and met up with Florence who escorted me back to her house. Amazingly enough… It’s the same house that caught on fire! They renovated it and added on an extra room so that it is more livable. Let me tell you… This BEAUTIFUL, INCREDIBLE, ENDEARING family has won over my heart. Florence works her rear end off to provide for her children. Unlike so many Ugandan families, Florence keeps nothing for herself. Every shilling she makes (which is not much) goes to her kids. She is paying for 3 of her kids’ school fees, and for 2 of their college tuitions. That is unheard of in Uganda. This woman is a fighter if I’ve ever met one before. Her children talk about her in a way that reminds me so much of the woman in Proverbs 31… She is a woman of strength, dignity, courage, character, wisdom, and beauty. Yes, this is Florence.
“Strength and dignity are her clothing and she laughs at the days to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed… Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.”
Proverbs 31:25-29
I spent 5 hours with Florence and her family today, and it was not enough. Can I please tell you how AMAZING it was to hear these people say things like, “It’s all for the glory of the Lord” and “Praise God for what we still have” and “God kept us alive and together, what more would we want?” I love them as though they are my brothers and sisters. In fact, they each gave me a hug, said “we love you”, and thanked me for caring about them as I left. And let me tell you… I do care about them, more than words can describe. Remember when I just recently talked about brokenness? Well I am broken over the situation of this family. And I want to help them. I want to make Florence’s life a little easier. I want to provide them with monetary support, and pray for them each and every day. And so that’s what I’m going to do! Join in that with me? Please?
“For the needy shall not always be forgotten, and the hope of the poor shall not perish forever.”
Psalm 9:18
“For he delivers the needy when he calls, the poor and him who has no helper. He has pity on the weak and needy, and saves the lives of the needy. From oppression and violence he redeems their life, and precious is their blood in his sight.”
Psalm 72:12-14
My day ended on a note that was also very encouraging and a good processing time after an emotion-filled day. Tonight, I went to a home group dinner with 16 missionaries who are currently living and serving in Kampala. It was very interesting to hear their stories, learn more about what they do, and find out how God is moving and working in different areas of Uganda as we speak. It was also nice to have a night where I could speak English without adding a Luganda accent to make sure I am being understood:) I wish I could do today all over again, every day. But tomorrow, a new adventure begins… BETHANY VILLAGE!
Please pray for:
-Our travels to Bethany Village, and the beginning of this new experience
-My health… I’m fighting off a sore throat
-The babies here at LHBH- Specifically our 2 new little guys, Matthew and Mark
Enjoy some of my favorite pictures from today…
Oh my goodness Becks...I have chills all over my body!!! And you wanna know what's crazy? Proverbs 31:25 was one of the verses I read this morning....wow!!! You are doing God's work, so keep smiling :) And Florence is right, your smile is super contagious!!!
ReplyDeleteWow. Becca I am being so blessed by your beautiful entries here on your blog. My heart goes out to Florence. She does truly seem like a Proverbs 31 woman. I just read that scripture with a group of women tonight, and talked about how God empowers us all to be that woman. So amazing!! Tonight, before I go to sleep, I will pray for you! And for Florence!
ReplyDeleteWow!... Great BIG hand hug from Medlock.
ReplyDelete