Friday, June 25, 2010

Sundays in the Village

Each day I have been in Bethany Village has gotten better and better… And Sunday was no different. I had such a wonderful day! I woke up early with the kids in my house so that I could attend their Sunday school class. Church in Bethany is held in the pavilion that also serves as the school cafeteria. It is not a big space, and it was definitely filled to the extent that it was overflowing (there’s nothing wrong with that- praise God)! After attending the Sunday school class for the 6th and 7th graders, I sat in the back with Gloria (my sister at Joy house) and just marveled at the way the people in Uganda worship. It’s beautiful.



After the church service (which was very long, might I add), I went back to the house and spent the day doing nothing more than bonding with my family. And oh, what a joy it was! In Uganda, they treat their visitors like royalty, not allowing you to help with anything or do anything on your own. This was very frustrating for me, because I desperately wanted to be a part of their daily routine! And Sunday was finally the day that I went from being a visitor to being a daughter at Joy house:)

I was helping Gloria with some washing when Joseph asked me to escort him up the hill to get some more matoke bananas. I had no idea the treat that I was in for! It is about a mile hike up a hill to reach the place where we were sent to get the bananas, so Joseph and I really got to pour into one another. He is awesome. Joseph is 14 years old and in the 7th grade. If you do the math, you will see that his age and grade don’t match up. Joseph is not unintelligent, and he is not lazy. But Joseph enjoys life a little too much… Let’s just put it that way. He loves to make the people around him laugh and smile. He’s a jokester, a goofball. And he really is hilarious! If he had to choose between passing an exam and making his friends happy, he’d choose the latter. Joseph had lots of questions to ask me about life in America versus life in Uganda. He wants to travel… He desires to learn new things and experience new life. Joseph and I had an immediate connection as soon as we were given the opportunity to talk. All it took was that hike up and down the hill for Joseph to tell me that he was sad I wasn’t staying for a longer period of time. Needless to say… I am sad as well.



This is Joseph carrying the matoke bananas down the hill along with a quick view of the scenery at Bethany Village. It is a truly beautiful place, but the people there are the real blessing.

When I got back to the house, Alex (my other brother at Joy house) was awaiting our arrival because he was jealous that he didn’t get to go along with us on our hike. I showed him the pictures I took of Joseph and I, so of course he wanted to get in one too.



Alex is 11 and in 3rd grade. Once again, do the math and discover that those numbers don’t match up. Alex lacks motivation and excitement. He is stubborn and somewhat rebellious. HOWEVER… Alex has a smile that will melt your heart away. He gets tickled by the simplest of things, like figuring out how to work my flashlight. He is full of joy, and I have already told him many of times to never stop smiling, because it’s bound to rub off on someone. I am making it my goal this week to give Alex encouragement in everything that he does.

Sundays in the village are spent the way the day of rest should be spent… Fellowshipping together, eating together, playing together, praying together, and praising together. As the next Sunday approaches, I encourage you to do the same. Relax and thank God for life and breath and salvation.

“The Lord is our judge; the Lord is our lawgiver; the Lord is our king; he will save us.”
Isaiah 33:22

“In your majesty, ride out victoriously for the cause of truth and meekness and righteousness…”
Psalm 45:4

No comments:

Post a Comment