Friday, April 16, 2010

Mary's Song of Praise

After my last post, I was reading through Chapter 1 in Luke. I found myself in great comparison to Mary. Gabriel, an angel of the Lord, comes to her and basically says, "Hey. Here's the deal- God's on your side. He thinks you're awesome. So, you're going to all of the sudden be pregnant. Oh and the baby will be the Savior of the universe." The Bible says Mary was troubled and tried to discern the truth in the message. She doubted the angel and asked how that was possible. Gabriel the angel gives some more explanation, and then adds this comment in verse 37 of chapter 1... "For nothing will be impossible with God." Right after, Luke tells about "Mary's Song of Praise: The Magnificat."

"'My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked at the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts; he has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate; he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his offspring forever.'"
Luke 1:46-55

Similar to Mary, God hit me with something that seemed completely impossible. I was troubled, and I doubted how God could make things happen. But all it takes is that moment of realization that God is The Magnificat, and nothing is impossible with him. He gets all the glory, and all the praise!

It has been crazy to see God work out all the little "glitches" and use them for his own glory. For example, confronting my parents about the idea of going to Africa on my own was something I expected to be quite a daunting task. I was nervous, and gave it a few weeks before I even brought it up. But God was way ahead of me... He always is. My parents' hearts were already open and ready to accept the Lord's will for my life. They were not only supportive of the trip, but were (and still are) incredibly excited to see what God is going to have in store for me in Africa! I also feared that I wouldn't have the ability to find someone to travel with me. I was almost positive that I was going to go with one of my friends from church, but God had something different in mind; of course, he already knew who I was going to travel with. I went months and months waiting, wondering, and admittedly doubting if God was going to give me someone to travel with. I even confess that I had begun to make alternate plans for the summer. I just knew I couldn't go alone. But God is love, and love never fails. Africa Renewal Ministries (ARM) is the organization that funds and runs Bethany Village, and they are who I will be working under (http://www.africarenewal.org/). Once of the directors at ARM emailed me just last week and gave me the name of a girl who will also be traveling to Bethany Village this summer, and they suggested that we fly over together. This was such a blessing, and another complete and total answer to prayer... For myself, and my family. So as of now, I have a traveling and working companion, who will also be the closest thing to comfort I have for that month of my life.

Another fear that crosses every person's mind as they embark on a mission trip is funding. The total cost for my trip to Uganda (including airfare) will be around $3500. I still am in desperate need of help to raise the money for my trip, and every little bit helps! My email address is becgail@gmail.com, so let me know if you would like to be a part of this trip in any way- spiritually or financially. As overwhelming as the thought of the cost is to me, I have already seen God's provision in this area. Last semester, I was visiting my best friend in Dallas. We were discussing the trip, but at that point, I was totally unsure of everything- where I would be going, who I would be going with, if I was going to be able to go, or even whether or not I really wanted to go. I knew nothing. But even then, in a time full of complete uncertainty and vulnerability, the Lord provided. She generously offered to give financially to the costs of my trip. But as always, that's not all to the story! A month ago, I went to dinner with a dear friend of mine that I've known almost my entire life. We spent a typical evening together laughing and sharing stories, but the night ended differently. As we walked to our cars, he stopped and gave me an envelope. Inside was one of the most encouraging notes I've ever received. He blessed me with a letter describing the importance of our friendship and his excitement to see the Lord moving and working in us. I was almost in tears when I read the last sentence... "I want to help you get where God wants you, so use this in whatever way it is needed most." Attached to the letter was a generous amount of money that sent emotions running rapidly through me. First of all... I have the GREATEST friends and family on Earth. And secondly (but most importantly) MY GOD IS UTTERLY AMAZING and does things that are completely unfathomable to me.

"Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever... For me, it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord God my refuge, that I may tell of all your works."
Psalm 73:23-28

No comments:

Post a Comment